About the Doctor
Following his high school graduation, Dr. Samuel Mayeda left Hawaii for the continental United States, where he completed college, medical school and five years of post-doctoral medical education. Prior to starting his practice in Orange County, Dr. Mayeda served as a reservist in the United States Navy for 10 years.
During his two years of active duty as a Lieutenant Commander, he provided medical care in America’s heartland to our nation’s servicemen and servicewomen as an internist and endocrinologist at the Naval Regional Medical Center in Great Lakes, Ill. He is board certified in both endocrinology and internal medicine.
When he is not treating patients, he enjoys his family, running marathons and participating in continuing medical education activities.
Education, Military Service and Training
- BA, 1966 – Coe College, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- MD, 1970 – Marquette School of Medicine Inc., Milwaukee, Wis.
- 1970 to 1971 – Internal Medicine Internship, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wis.
- 1971 to 1973 - Internal Medicine Residency, Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, Mass.
- 1973 to 1974 – Endocrinology Fellowship, Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, Mass.
- 1974 to 1976 – Internist and Endocrinologist, Naval Regional Medical Center, Great Lakes, Ill.
- 1976 to 1977 – Endocrinology Fellowship, University of Southern California/Los Angeles County Medical Center
- 1977 to Present – Endocrinologist in Orange County
Hospital Staff Memberships
- Saint Joseph Hospital, Orange, Calif.
- Hoag Memorial Hospital Presbyterian, Newport Beach, Calif.
- 1976 – Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine
- 1977 – Diplomate, American Board of Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Certified ACCU-CHEK Spirit Insulin Pump Trainer
- Certified Animas Pump Trainer
- Certificate of Recognition for Providing Training and Patient Care in Dexcom Continuous Monitoring
- Medtronic Certification in the MiniMed Paradigm Insulin Pump
- Medtronic Certified in REAL-Time Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Certified OmniPod Insulin Management Specialist
- 1990 – Elected Fellow of the American College of Physicians
- 1994 – Elected Fellow of the American College of Endocrinology
- 2010 & 2011 – Patients Choice Award
- 2010 & 2011 – Voted Most Compassionate Physician
- 2012 – Selected as one of America's Top Physicians
- Professional Section of the American Diabetes Association
- Charter Member of the American Academy of Clinical Endocrinology
- Orange County Endocrine Society
- Orange County Medical Association
- California Medical Association
- National Lipid Association
- American Academy of Private Physicians